Village of Camargo
Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 13, 2018
The Village Board of the Village of Camargo met in regular session on August 13, 2018 at the Camargo Community Building. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm by Village President Bart Dann. Roll call found the following trustees present: Pam Sigler, Jeane Brieland, and Gary Gilpin. Water Superintendent Rick Kielhorn and Treasurer Shirley Badman were also in attendance. Trustees Scott Tague, Jim Hardway, and Laura Miller were absent.
Trustee Jim Hardway arrived at 7:16 pm
Pam Sigler made a motion to accept the minutes, and Jeane Brieland seconded the motion. The motion to accept the minutes was passed unanimously (minus the votes of absent trustees).
Jim Hardway made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report, and Pam Sigler seconded the motion. The motion to accept the treasurer’s report was passed unanimously (minus the votes of absent trustees).
SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICER:
Bart Dann was informed by the School President Jim Clark and by Villa Grove Mayor Cassandra Eversole-Gunter that the School Resource Officer (SRO) has already been approved by the school board and the city.
The current plan is that the school will pay for ½ of the officer’s salary and the city will pay for the remaining ½. The City of Villa Grove is asking for Camargo to assist in their ½ in supporting the school’s decision. Camargo students currently make up 20% of the school’s student roster, and the officer will be employed for a full 176 days. The remaining days outside of the school year will be paid 100% by the City of Villa Grove.
The State does NOT mandate that the school employee or have an officer at the school.
Jim Hardway believes that the school board should have held a public forum and informed the public of their intentions. He believes tax payers will have questions that we don’t have the answers to.
Many board members stressed that our tax dollars are already sent to the school, and feel that the school board should find a way to pay for it with the funds they are already receiving.
Bart explained that there are 2 tiers and that the city would be appreciative of any assistance we may be able to provide:
Tier 1: Less seniority salary: $34,953.58 = $17,883.23 (VG’s ½) = $3576.65 (20% Camargo’s portion)
Tier 2: More seniority salary: $38,661.05 = $19,780.07 (VG’s ½) = $3956.01 (20% Camargo’s portion)
Pam Sigler does not feel comfortable with making this decision without the public’s input.
Shirley Badman stated that we already give VG $3800 contribution to the ambulance every year.
Some of the Board’s concerns include:
Is this a one year contract? Can we opt to not assist next year?
Are we going to be expected to donate every year?
How far does the liability go to protect the Village and it’s Board?
The SRO topic fell without a motion. At this specific point, the Board chose to take no action.
Jack Thompson has decided to sell the property across from his residence that sits in front of the park. There are 4 lots, and he is asking $10K for each lot. He would request that no buildings go up on the two south lots. Jim sees no advantage to purchasing the property.
MOTOR FUEL RESOLUTION:
Pam Sigler made a motion to approve the Motor Fuel Resolution and payment to Jim Crane in the amount of $665.93. Jim Hardway seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously (minus the votes of absent trustees).
The additions to the concessions stand are coming along. Rick stated he is possibly going to install a window on both sides. We will still have plenty of storage (12’ x 16’ after remodel). He wanted to advise the Board that we may exceed the original budget due to added expenses: AC, Kinney electric to do wiring (100 amp. Service), windows.
WATER SUPERINTENDENT REPORT:
- One door on the east side of the concession stand has been installed.
- One door needs to be installed.
- The siding is in great shape and will be used.
- Trimmed trees in Plum Grove
- Grass cutting is slowing down
- Doug & Rick both took some vacation time
- Special samples being taken on Tuesday, August 14th (flushing some hydrants)
- Myron Little installed a new overflow pipe in a pond behind the park (private property)
- No playground equipment for toddlers – Rick would like to see this changed.
Village President Bart Dann reported the following:
- Verizon is still slated for construction for next year.
- Neighborhood Night Out was a wonderful turn out. Requests for same thing next year in the Spring.
- Camargo sign update: Tim is beginning the repairs on the sign. We will instruct him to do the cost saving repairs.
- ERBA Playground update: Sharon spoke with Bart regarding the playground. The contractor is charging them $12K to do the minimal repairs needed. She is getting bids.
- Sandbox Removal – Bart received a complaint via Facebook that the sandbox is full of cat feces. Rick confirmed that it is an eyesore and difficult to keep weeds out of it. The Board agreed to remove the sandbox. Rick and Doug will remove it as time allows.
- There will be a Board cookout with the remainder of the food from the Neighborhood Night Out. This will be for the board members and their families. Jim Hardway has graciously agreed to host. It will be Sunday, September 09 at 3 pm. Salisa will send an evite.
- The outside light on the community building is not working. Rick will check the light bulb and get it in working order.
- Election Day – what days does ERBA need to be out of the building?
- Tuesday, November 06
- Tuesday, March 19
With no further business to come before the Board, Village President Bart Dann called for adjournment at 8:37 pm.