September 2018

Download Minutes

Village of Camargo

Board Meeting Minutes

Regular Session

Monday, September 10, 2018

7:00 pm


The Village Board of the Village of Camargo met in regular session on September 10, 2018 at the Camargo Community Building.  The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Village President Bart Dann.  Roll call found the following trustees present: Scott Tague, Jim Hardway, Pam Sigler, Jeane Brieland, and Gary Gilpin.  Water Superintendent Rick Kielhorn and Treasurer Shirley Badman were also in attendance.


Trustee Laura Miller arrived at 7:04 pm.



Kent Elam, Camargo Township President:  The township had their property surveyed.  They were informed that there is a strip of property that is “unclaimed.”  After further research, he learned that the Village of Camargo owns the property that runs east and west just south of the township building before you get to the railroad tracks.  This strip of property is approximately 27’ long.  According to the survey, the Village owns this strip all the way down past the grain bins.  The township has been maintaining and utilizing the property for 30+ years.  They are asking the Village if we would vacate the property to the township.  He also suggested we vacate the properties along the railroad tracks to those property owners.  He stated the Village could gain the tax money off of the vacated properties.  The Village thanked Mr. Elam and advised him that President Bart Dann would make contact with him as soon as decision was made.


Jim Clark, Villa Grove School Board President:  Mr. Clark was asked to come to the Village Board and explain in detail the information needed regarding the School Resource Officer (SRO).  Jim started by explaining that there was a community survey completed last year.  One of the main concerns from that survey was school security.  He met with Villa Grove Mayor Cassandra Eversole-Gunter.  They discussed implementing an SRO.  Because of the timing, and their desire to have this officer in place for the 2018-2019 school year, things moved very quickly.  There were several discussions between the School Board and the City of Villa Grove.  In May, the School Board was 100% on board with implementing the SRO and it was passed before school started.  The driving force behind the SRO is to prevent a school shooting.  The SRO will have other responsibilities such as: investigating school crimes (not an issue at VG), he will be an informal counselor, and a law related educator (alcohol abuse / drug abuse).  Officer Bradley currently has a master’s degree in education, and he will assist in active shooter training.  He will also be a positive role model for students.

Pam Sigler asked who received this survey and how did they get it?  She knew nothing about this survey.  Jim explained that the survey was on the school website and in the newspaper.

There was a question about legality.  Jim explained that once the agreement is signed between the two parties, that the City of Villa Grove would be the officer’s employer.  The Village of Camargo would not be responsible for his decisions or actions.  (There is also an email from the Village attorney.  See attached)

Laura Miller asked who the actual employer is: The City of Villa Grove or the School?  Jim explained again that he is employed through the City.  The School only pays for ½ of his salary and he only works at the school when school is in session.

Jim Hardway asked specifically about doors at the school being left open.  Mr. Clark explained that all the doors are locked.  There are certain times that certain doors are open for morning entrance.  However, students can exit out any door at any time.

Jim Hardway explained to Mr. Clark that Camargo has no revenue.  The Village is just starting to get back on track financially.  We are already helping with the costs of the ambulance service.  His concern is the entrance of the school…when specifically speaking of school safety.  Jim Clark explained that the School Board is currently working towards fixing the entrance.  However, this is a time lengthy process.

Laura Miller asked about the school purchasing metal detectors.  Jim explained the School Board has discussed this, and they are not in favor of metal detectors.  For one, it makes the school feel too “prison-like.”  Secondly, this would slow down the process of getting all the students into the building in the mornings.

Laura Miller also asked what the contract length is for the SRO.  Jim explained that this is a one-year contract.

Scott Tague asked if Tuscola had implemented an SRO.  Jim replied they had not.  Villa Grove is the first Douglas County school to have one.  However, there are several other schools in central Illinois that already have them.

President Bart Dann thanked Mr. Clark for his time and advised him that he would let him know if any decisions were made.


Terry Melton:  3 years ago, Mr. Melton bought the property just north of his home and next to the railroad tracks.  Mr. Melton is looking into what is needed to get an access road put in for him to gain better access to his property.  He would like for the south end of Mill Street to be opened.  CSX Railroad wants $1250 just to come out and survey the land to see if the road could even be opened for crossing the tracks.  Mr. Melton also stated that there is a water main that is approximately 6”- 8” under the creek.  He is worried that one of his horses will not see the pipe and break a leg on it.

Jim stated that the Mill Street crossing is closed, and it is not the responsibility of the Village to provide him access.  The State of Illinois has granted him access off Route 130.  Terry stated that there is a 10’ drop from the highway to the ground below.

Scott advised him that his best option would be to stop one of the RR employees that he sees on the tracks in a work truck.  They could provide him with the local engineer’s name for our area.  Bart thanked Mr. Melton for bringing his concerns to the Board.  He advised he would contact him once a decision was made.

After Mr. Melton left, the Board continued to discuss this matter.  Bart stated he would contact Jim Crane.  He would show him all three access points that Mr. Melton has and the water main.  The Board would then make a decision based on his suggestions.






Jim Hardway made a motion to accept the minutes.  Jeane Brieland seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.


Salisa Dann received an email from ERBA.  They asked if they could use the community building one day in November.  She felt that since they are already renting the building from the Village, they should not be required to pay again.  The Board agreed.



Jim Hardway made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report.  Laura Miller seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.


Pam Sigler made a motion to vacate the property for the Township, and the Township must pay all necessary fees and costs to do so – as well as complete all the leg work.  Gary Gilpin seconded the motion, and motion passed unanimously.



At the end of the school year, ERBA had asked for a ceiling fan to be installed in the classroom and the office – but most importantly the classroom.  The Board discussed this purchase and decided that Rick could purchase the fan (in order to keep the integrity of the building), and Rick would install the fan.  However, the Village would like for the preschool to pay for the fan in the classroom.  Reason being, that room cannot be rented or used by anyone other than ERBA.  There was an issue brought up as well that the preschool is keeping the AC too low.  Shirley has stated that she keeps a sweater in the office due to how cold it is.  Rick stated the AC should not ever be below 70 or 71 degrees.  Bart stated he would call and have a discussion with Denise about the AC and with Sharon about the fan.



  • Sandbox has been removed
  • Swing set has been painted
  • Work in park:
    • Mulched trees
    • Cleaned the parking lot where the mulch had been dumped
    • Hope to get the dead tree cut down soon
  • HeadStart called him – there was a leak in the shed over their belongings
    • Blackjacked and tarred over every nail
  • Received a complaint about the lack of rock on Field Street
    • Raked and fixed Field Street
    • There is a neighbor that puts his sump pump hose out there. It is causing the rock to wash away.
  • Flushed hydrants
  • Sample results are back
    • Good results – we only have to submit once a year (costing us $350)
    • Lead and Copper samples came due
      • This is 10 different houses
      • Process is completed once every three years (costing us about $440)
    • Door and window installed in concession stand
    • Leon Kinney (Kinney Electric) plans to install power to the concession stand
    • Purchased an AC for the concession stand ($119)
    • The concession stand will NOT be done before the WWF
    • Kinney did not leave a price on the electric work
    • Rick asked Shirley to find a meter name for the meter next to the concession stand.
      • Rick is going to see about moving the tennis courts electric box to seasonal and the electric box next to the concession stand turned on for continual use
    • 2 picnic tables and 1 potty house at Taylor Haines park will be moved to the park for the WWF
    • WWF meeting tomorrow night and Bart will give Rick an idea of what roads need to be closed / no parking



Village President Bart Dann reported the following:

  • Ali Santo stopped by Bart’s home. She stated she was with the Broadlands Wind Farm.  She dropped off a flyer and would like to have a presentation with our Board at some point.  Bart stated he would email her and advise her she could put up a booth at the WWF if they are interested.
  • Laura and Bart had a discussion about Christmas in Camargo. They are going to use the Victory Church and the Community Building.  This event has been scheduled for December 08.  We are going to sell raffle tickets at the WWF and draw the winner at Christmas in Camargo.  $1000 to 1st place, $500 to 2nd place, and $50 to 10 3rd place winners.  Bart suggested that he would like to put a small tree up in the concession stand and have Santa in there for photo ops.  The tree lighting will be at 5:30 that evening.
    • Bart informed the Board that there is a perfect evergreen tree that has been donated to the Village. The tree belongs to Gage Dann and is currently on his grandmother’s property.  She would like it removed.  Bart had Brad Drew look at it to see if it could be transplanted.  He stated that it could be moved (in late fall) and to purchase a new one of this size would cost the Village between $400 – $500.  The Board stated that he could go ahead and have the tree transplanted, and the Village agreed to pay for the transplant.
  • City-wide garage sale has been set for Friday, October 12 and Saturday, October 13. Salisa will add this to the next flyer.
  • Casey’s is not happening. There are too many in close proximity to other Casey General Stores.
    • Bart continues to reach out to other gas stations and prospective investors.
  • Bart spoke with Matt Grant at Verizon. Camargo is still slated for June – July 2019.
  • Bart was finally able to speak with Patty Jaynes. There are several vehicles on their property that are in violation of Village Ordinance.  He explained to her that she has until the next Board meeting to get them taken care of.  She said they would work on getting them moved; especially the vehicle parked on the roadway.
  • Board cookout has been moved to September 16th at 5pm. Victory Church is interested in purchasing some of the leftover hotdogs, buns, and chips from the Neighborhood Night Out.
  • The Camargo sign has been primered. The Board decided that Tim Wegeng could have creative freedom with the sign but would like to see his ideas before he completes them.
  • ERBA has begun the playground work. Bart spoke with Sharon who advised they finally were making some progress on this project.


With no further business to come before the Board, Village President Bart Dann called for adjournment at 9:09 pm.


Salisa Dann

Village Clerk