Special Meeting July 2023

Download Minutes



Tuesday, July 18, 2023

6:00 PM

Camargo Community Building


The Village Board of the Village of Camargo met in a special session on Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 6:00 pm at the Camargo Community Building.  The meeting was called to order at 6:02 pm by Village President Bart Dann.  Roll call found the following trustees present: Nancy George, Jim Lansford, Jeane Breiland, Laura Miller, and Gary Gilpin.  Village Superintendent Doug Raymer, Village Water Superintendent Kyle Raymer, and Village Treasurer Shirley Badman were all present.  Douglas County Engineer Jim Crane was present for the opening of bids.






Laura Miller made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report and the bills to be paid.  Nancy George seconded the motion, and motion passed unanimously.




Opening and Possible Approval of Main Street Project Bids:

Only one bid was received, and that was from Beniach Construction Company.  Their bid came in at $89,529.35.  Jim Lansford made a motion to accept the bid, Gary Gilpin seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.


Approval of 2022 MFT Closeout:

Jim Crane explained that we used a little over five thousand dollars in last year’s MFT.  We need to close out 2022 in order to spend the money for 2023.  Laura Miller made a motion to close out 2022 MFT with a final budget of $5034.10.  Gary Gilpin seconded the motion, and the motion passed.


Discussion and Vote to Raise Water Bill Rates:

Water Superintendent Kyle Raymer has been working closely with the Rural Water Association.  They have been doing a rate study to see where our rates should land in August 2023.  Kyle was present with several handouts from Rural Water, and one handout from Kyle.  Kyle’s worksheet compiled all the information into one easy read chart.


There were several options provided – one of which was lowering our base rate.  This option would make all out of town customers pay the same base rate as our in town customers.  This would benefit those water consumers who conserve and have lower water usage.  This option increases the usage amount per gallon.


Another option would be to keep the base rates where they are now.  This option provides the Village with 80% of our water revenue.  The remaining 20% would come from usage rates.


The Board quickly decided to keep the base rate where it currently sits and to only raise the usage.  This seemed the only fair option, and those that wish to conserve would save more than those that don’t conserve.  There was much discussion regarding the increase.  If we increase the usage to $6.50 per 1000 gallons, we would barely break even.  This would NOT allow for any expenses….most likely ending the Village negatively at the end of the fiscal year.  Rural Water suggested we charge $10 per 1000 gallons, but the Board felt this was too large of an increase.  Laura Miller made a motion to increase the usage to $9.00 per 1000 gallons and the increase to be effective on the October 2023 water bills.  Jim Lansford seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.


Discussion and Possible Vote of Opal Thompson Park Signs:

Village President Bart Dann spoke with IDOT.  If we put “generic” park signs on the highway, IDOT will install them and take care of the maintenance.  If we put “Opal Thompson Park” signs on the highway, the Village is responsible for maintaining the posts, the signs, mowing and weeding around the signs.  The Board easily decided that IDOT can install the “generic” signs, and the Village will post “Thompson Park” signs in town.






Dave Otto contacted Bart regarding walkers along the west end of Main Street across the bridge.  He would like to see pedestrian signs put there.  Bart contacted IDOT since that is a state bridge.  They stated that if someone is not seeing a walker, chances are they aren’t going to see a sign.  After relaying the information to the Board, they agreed that a sign isn’t going to deter people from not paying attention.  The Board’s suggestion was for Mr. Otto to walk facing traffic so he can see what is coming at him instead of it being behind him.


With no further business to come before the Board, Village President Bart Dann called for adjournment at 7:12 pm.